Yelp has revealed it’s Top 100 places to eat in the U.S.
Engineers on Yelp’s data mining team used a technique based on the Wilson Score to compile a list of highly rated places to eat. This method takes into account both star rating and number of reviews to reveal which spots not only have top notch ratings, but also which are most popular in the Yelp community.
Of course, since it’s only using Yelp’s data, the results are skewed towards the type of people who actively use Yelp. Case in point: NYC’s top rated place to eat is a food truck. While it is quite good, I don’t know anyone who would list it at number one in the city.
The Tampa Tribune gives us a list of 50 things we didn’t know last year.
8. Astronomers discovered the most distant galaxy ever. Its light took more than 13 billion years to reach Earth. The system, which can be found in the night sky above the handle of the Big Dipper, creates more than 330 stars a year — 100 times faster than our Milky Way galaxy.
13. All mammals urinate for roughly the same amount of time, 21 seconds, regardless of their size. The mathematical model of animals is now known as “The Law of Urination.”
34. For women, smelling a newborn baby feels as good as drugs to addicts or cheeseburgers to those just breaking a fast.
USA Today gives us a list of America’s 15 best pizzas.
Pizza is about as varied and beloved a genre, as opinionated a subject, and also as accessible a food as there is, which makes determining the country’s best pizzas a truly challenging task.
Six joints in NYC, three in New Haven, CT (wtf?), two in SF, and one each in Portland, Providence, and LA. Notice, not one in Chicago or any mention of that deep dish crap. John Stewart’s right, “It’s not pizza…it’s a fucking casserole.”
The Awl gives us a list of Roman Emperors in order of how hardcore their deaths were.
11. Leo II (474): Poisoned by his own mother so her husband could become emperor.
And that was only number 11!
I’ve written a few down…just in case.
6. Frat boys, drunk chicks, bachelorettes, and hammered CEO’s: please stop doing cocaine and throwing up in our bathrooms. Go to a house party or your hotel room if you need to get wasted.
9. Drinking melted ice and calling it a cocktail. I’m sorry, you already drank your cocktail. Now you’re just drinking a memory.
I’m glad I’m not guilty of any of them (so far).
Reader’s Digest brings us “30 Secrets Your Waiter Will Never Tell You”.
10. Oh, you needed more water so badly, you had to snap or tap or whistle? I’ll be right back … in ten minutes.
And from the I-wish-I-didn’t-know-that department:
28. If you’re worried about cleanliness, check out the bathroom. If the bathroom is gross, you can be sure the kitchen is much worse.
You know when you go to Google and start typing in the search field, how it attempts to autocomplete what you’re typing with popular searches other’s have done? Well, some of them are freaking hilarious, and thankfully, someone has put together a site to show off the best ones.
I gotta warn you…don’t drink anything while reading some of these. In fact, it’s probably best to vacate your bowels prior to reading them as well.
I thought a lot of them were just common sense, but I’m starting to learn that common sense isn’t that common.
5. Tables should be level without anyone asking. Fix it before guests are seated.
58. Do not bring judgment with the ketchup. Or mustard. Or hot sauce. Or whatever condiment is requested.