Cigar Feet

Thursday, September 8, 2011 at 2:00am By

Any fine, hand-made cigar has two ends, the “cap” at the top which you cut and put in your mouth, and the “foot” at the bottom where you light it. I always take a look at the foot when buying or smoking a cigar, but the other day was the first time that I really sat down and inspected one with a magnifying glass. It was only then that I truly saw the mélange of colors and textures and patterns that are in a fine cigar. It was also then that I knew I wanted to photograph a variety of cigar feet to capture the beauty in them.

28 comments on ‘Cigar Feet’

1. Jeff says:

Welcome back! I'm missed the detail investigations you do. I remember my first cigar and poker party, beyond the time you were born. Never did I look into cigars. My only thought was getting the cheapest. Me, not really a cigar man. More a whiskey man. Maker's Mark or Johnnie Walker Blue to pick both sides of the pond.

2. Chance says:

Endoplasmic reticulum….nice!

3. Zack says:

These are amazing. I wish i had the equipment to do something similar

4. AFoC says:

It was obvious from the cigars you featured, even before getting to the 5Vegas Gold, that you were a CI customer. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

5. Ryan says:

Very cool photos! I think the Opus or Ashton would make a very nice background for an add or photo backdrop. I think I have been looking at backgrounds too much this week.

6. I see you are in NYC. Where does one smoke now in New York?

• Josh says:

There are quite a few cigar stores and cigar bars that have exemptions from the smoking bans. Club Macenudo, Merchants, and Bar & Books are a few off the top of my head. I have a small balcony on my apartment which is perfect when it's not too hot & humid out.

7. Also, beautiful pictures! I'm going to link to these if that's ok.

8. Great photos – really enjoyed looking at them and trying to figure out things about the construction of the cigars and quality of the leaves. Bravo!

9. bclund says:

These are great photos Josh. Would love to see a box pressed Pardon 1926 in there.

10. the Cigar Inn says:

Great work, I love it

11. @pendolino says:

the odd cigar lover is getting harder to find nowadays so thank you for this interesting look.these would actually look nice enlarged, framed and hung on a wall.

have you done any Padrons?

12. Dan says:

Have you considered selling these as prints? Seems like the kind of thing a lover of both cigars and art would love to have framed up on their wall.

13. Great and inspiring pics!

Cameron Reilly
    Marketing Manager
    Perdomo Cigars Australia
    Twitter: perdomo_cigars

14. jake says:

cool series – i went to a cigar factory in cuba and they explained about how the different leaves were used in different quantities and combinations for the different cigars.

15. john says:

The first one looks like jesus on a cross

16. Mike Brown says:

Excellent! Bravo!
    I've been a cigar smoker for 30yrs. My Grandfather and Father enjoyed fine cigars.
    My Grandfather lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. in the 50s & 60s and smoked Cohiba's directly from Cuba. Lucky Dog!!!!
    I am in the process of designing a new top for an old coffee table of which I have saved cigar wrappers for for years. Now I know what it is I have been lacking in design. Thanks for the idea!!
    PS: I have used Convert for a number of years for Physics and Cosmology study.

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to send them to me directly.